1. Use a large, heavy-bottomed enameled cast iron pan with a good fitting lid. I use a Lodge 3.6 quart enamel cast iron casserole dish with lid and I swear the right pan is KEY to this!! I have anecdotal "proof"!
2. Heat 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat. Add one diced yellow onion and 2 c jasmine rice (I don't rinse it). Saute while stirring continuously several minutes till the onion is translucent and rice is toasted (I like mine to get some good amounts of brown on it).
3. Add in 4 c of hot water into which you have dissolved 1-2 T Knorr Chicken-Flavored Bouillon Powder. I like mine a tad salty, so I go with the full 2 (sometimes heaping!). It should immediately come to a boil. If it doesn't, let it come to a boil, then go to the next step.
4. Turn down to the lowest heat setting. Add in a small can of tomato sauce. Stir and cover tightly.
5. DON'T TAKE THE LID OFF. Resist the urge! Set a timer for 30 minutes and WALK AWAY.
6. After the timer ends, lift the lid and fluff the rice. It should be ready to serve. If you like you can fold in a handful of torn up cilantro. (YES…DO IT).
PS…the best part is if any of the rice sticks to the pan…scrape it off and eat it before sharing with your family.
This is just the rice I developed based on feedback from my husband and his mom over the last 4 years. It’s not the healthiest, but it’s the tastiest!